For me February is all about love and Ventine’s. For some Valentine’s is lonesome holiday. Remember, you are never alone! Celebrate the month of February with colour and passion. And on the 14th go out with your single girlfriend or guy friends. Buy a new dress or that new red lipstick. Put on those fake lashes or 50’s bold wing tips. Go to a party, bar or restaurant. And say “Goodbye!” to that nagging feeling of loneliness. Remember, don’t rush into a relationship, keep an eye out for that perfect one and weed out all the “Mr. Right Now” guys.
The colour palette for February and Valentine’s does not have to be all red, look for beautiful cremes, blushes, black&gold combinations and even mint colours.
1. Wing tip. Retro is in this season, and what says retro better than a wing tip eye look. Merlin Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Audrey Hepburn and many more gorgeous women rocked this look. You can do it too ;) Wear this makeup icon daily, experiment with liquid liner, pencil, smudge eyeshadows or eyeliner markers.
2. A red lip. Everyone knows that a red lip is a classic. Also many women are fearful of the red lips and I fully understand their fear. Until recently I believed that red lips are impossible to apply evenly. That is when I discovered the art of staining. Instead of smudging the lip colour on, stain your lips with red. Apply a lip balm before hand to provide a rich moisture foundation. This way the colour will last longer.
3. Blush colours. Blush is a beautiful colour, a light touch of pink that makes me think of tea roses and Paris. And when thinking about Paris and makeup Chanel comes to mind. Oh… Chanel. I love their oh-so-classy makeup and packaging. I just saw their spring 2012 LE items and was glad to see wonderful fresh light pinks. My favourite products so far are blush in glowing harmony, nail polish in May, or a hydrating lip colour in Chalys. Also, I found their MUA tutorials elegant, inspiring and a great idea for V-day looks.
4. Artsy Appliques. I have been using these for years now in my photo shoots (I was so glad to see that this technique is getting lots of attention this winter). A fancy name of appliqués is just any cut out shape or glitter which is applied to your face, lips, eyebrows or an eyeshadow substitute. I would suggest going to your local dollar store, buy glitter shaped as stars, hearts or flakes and apply those to your face using an eyelash glue. Any evening and party look can be spiced up using an appliques, the most important part is not to overdo it.
5. Retro hairstyles. Retro is the theme and hairstyles are not to be neglected. Especially if you are looking go get inspiration for unique hairstyles. Need help? Look at the cast of PanAm TV series, the actresses are diverse and have amazing hair in each episode. Take these look ideas and turn them into your reality.
I love New Year’s resolutions. How about this for a resolution? Looking your very own best in the 2012! I decided to start this year by re-evaluating my beauty routines and products that I use. Some things are better to leave in the 2011 and move on. So here are some of my new and improved manifestos for the new year:
1. Stay Natural. Watching youtube beauty vids is addictive: they both inspire me and make me want to put more makeup on my face. I decided to let go of that obsession and return back to looking natural. Goodbye to: tons of blush (one swipe is enough), bronzing and highlighting face daily, full on daily eyeshadow looks, lining my eyes with pencil, and sinister thoughts about foundation.
2. Be Yourself. I will stop wearing/buying clothes that suit me best according to colour charts, and will return to wearing my favourite colours. Whoever says that grey doesn’t match cool skinned girls with my eye colour can shush it. I love grey colour! So be yourself, wear the colours that you love, and makeup that you think suits you most. Your taste might change eventually anyways. And for now you can be yourself.
3. Go Hair Products! Now for the first time in 10 years I have shoulder length hair and it’s my natural hair colour. Man, do I feel weird having it. I discovered the fun of: flyaway hairs, grey hair (I have a few!), dry hair, oily hair, hair getting glued to your glossed lips, hair curling and misbehaving. I had none of this nonsense with my bobs and boy cuts. So what is the solution? Screw natural products! They just don’t help my hair stay in place. Trust me, I tried. This year I will stock up on John Frieda, Fructis and other wonderful brands, which will be a great aid in taming my hair.
4. Soap 4Life. I used makeup remover solution two times (it was a Christmas gift) and now I am fighting back the worse acne breakout of my life. FU gentle lotion makeup remover (they had the nerve to say that it is “gentle” on the cover)! I am now back to soap for the entire 2012 and the rest of my life.
5. Trust Your Mascara. Got a good mascara that you have been loving for the past year or two? Stick to it. In the 2011 I decide to experiment and bought a bunch of new mascaras and ended up hating 90% of what I bought. One of the mascaras was an absolute worse, I wore it for the second time after purchase and in a couple of hours after application it started feeling chalky and flaked. So in 2012 I’ll be sticking with what I know & trust.
Hope you enjoyed my NY’s resolutions. Let me know what are yours?
Three suggested to dos which are certain to change your life for better this November.
When you grow older your skin needs a bit of help as it does not renew as easily on its own building up layers of dead old skin. As an aide daily or weekly peeling is a must. To kick off those old layers of skin and give way to new and healthy skin use either a scrub (it can be in form of a creme scrub or loofa) or fruit juices - acidic juices of lemon or orange can be applied to your skin for about 10-15 minutes and then rinsed, these acids will wash away the old skin particles.
#2 Hand sanitization
With viruses on the loose it is a good idea to take as many preventative cautions as possible. Always cary with you a small liquid hand sanitizer (if you don’t like the smell of alcohol, buy a scented one). Apply it frequently, especially when in public spaces (school, office, transport, mall, restaurant). Hand sanitizer reduces your risk of getting virus sickness such as flue 5-10 fold. Also don’t forget to wash your hands on a regular basis with antibacterial soap.
#3 Ingrown Nail
November is the time when we start wearing winter and late autumn shoes. As our toes are hidden and squished inside a shoe we often forget about them. Our lack of attention may result in ingrown nails. Gross, I know. To prevent this please pay attention to your toes, once a week inspect them and perform DIY (do it yourself) pedicures.
1) Daily cleansing - Wash your face every night before going to sleep, daily dirt and makeup clogs up your pores. Use a scrub or good old soap and water.
2) Weekly cleansing - Cleanse your skin once a week. Use natural clay or mud mask. This routine will clean up you pores, and will rid you of white and black dots. Want to spice things up? Try a peel. Also exfoliating your skin fights acne.
3) Diet - diet influences the oiliness of your skin as well.
A. FRUIT & VEG - Try eating food rich in protein. Include raw vegetables and fruits into your daily diet routine.
B. VITAMIN B2 - vitamin B2 prevents your skin from increasing the oiliness of your skin. Great sources of B2 are nuts, grains, oats, and beans.
C. SO LONG FATS - Decrease your sugar intake. Say goodbye to chocolates, pastries, pop, alcohol and fried foods. Or at least control yourself and consume these items in small portions.
D. SPICY? NO THANK YOU - Spicy foods dilate blood vessels, and make your skin produce more oils.
4) Hydration - You have to hydrate your skin. Drink lots of water (10 glasses per day is the norm). Good hydrating cream which is fit for oily skin will help to hydrate your skin as well.
5) Recommended products: Clinique’s 3 step system $49 , 3 step system from Yves Roche $7 , Moisturizer from Lush for oily skin $37.95 , Mineral clay firming masque by St. Ives $15 (get it in Shoppers Drugmart), Thermal mud face pack by Parrs $25.80, Estee Lauder oil control pressed powder $27, any mineral based makeup, any makeup by Bare Minerals
Get these routines memorized by heart and start practicing them. Let’s kick that oily skin’s ass once and for all!