For me February is all about love and Ventine’s. For some Valentine’s is lonesome holiday. Remember, you are never alone! Celebrate the month of February with colour and passion. And on the 14th go out with your single girlfriend or guy friends. Buy a new dress or that new red lipstick. Put on those fake lashes or 50’s bold wing tips. Go to a party, bar or restaurant. And say “Goodbye!” to that nagging feeling of loneliness. Remember, don’t rush into a relationship, keep an eye out for that perfect one and weed out all the “Mr. Right Now” guys.
The colour palette for February and Valentine’s does not have to be all red, look for beautiful cremes, blushes, black&gold combinations and even mint colours.
1. Wing tip. Retro is in this season, and what says retro better than a wing tip eye look. Merlin Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Audrey Hepburn and many more gorgeous women rocked this look. You can do it too ;) Wear this makeup icon daily, experiment with liquid liner, pencil, smudge eyeshadows or eyeliner markers.
2. A red lip. Everyone knows that a red lip is a classic. Also many women are fearful of the red lips and I fully understand their fear. Until recently I believed that red lips are impossible to apply evenly. That is when I discovered the art of staining. Instead of smudging the lip colour on, stain your lips with red. Apply a lip balm before hand to provide a rich moisture foundation. This way the colour will last longer.
3. Blush colours. Blush is a beautiful colour, a light touch of pink that makes me think of tea roses and Paris. And when thinking about Paris and makeup Chanel comes to mind. Oh… Chanel. I love their oh-so-classy makeup and packaging. I just saw their spring 2012 LE items and was glad to see wonderful fresh light pinks. My favourite products so far are blush in glowing harmony, nail polish in May, or a hydrating lip colour in Chalys. Also, I found their MUA tutorials elegant, inspiring and a great idea for V-day looks.
4. Artsy Appliques. I have been using these for years now in my photo shoots (I was so glad to see that this technique is getting lots of attention this winter). A fancy name of appliqués is just any cut out shape or glitter which is applied to your face, lips, eyebrows or an eyeshadow substitute. I would suggest going to your local dollar store, buy glitter shaped as stars, hearts or flakes and apply those to your face using an eyelash glue. Any evening and party look can be spiced up using an appliques, the most important part is not to overdo it.
5. Retro hairstyles. Retro is the theme and hairstyles are not to be neglected. Especially if you are looking go get inspiration for unique hairstyles. Need help? Look at the cast of PanAm TV series, the actresses are diverse and have amazing hair in each episode. Take these look ideas and turn them into your reality.