After I graduated from high school I found out that my grade 12 math teacher passed from prostate cancer. He was 32 years old, a lot of girls in our school had a crush on him, he was a kind person, and died 7 days after he was diagnosed because the cancer spread too fast. November is a men’s health awareness month in Canada also known as Movember. Why Movember? The name comes from moustache + November, men sign up to an online charity and grow out their moustaches for the entire month.
A loved man is a healthy man. I think that all of us can participate in Movember by appreciating the men that we have in our lives right now - our boyfriends, brothers, fathers, grand dads, and husbands. And how do we appreciate? Usually with gifts and surprises, bought or handmade. Sometimes I find it difficult coming up with gifts for guys so I made a list:
1. Breakfast - In bed or on the table it is a sentimental gesture. If you like to sleep in you can make the breakfast and write a note on a card then go back to sleep.
2. Perfume - Smell perfume that he already has and pick one with a similar scent. If you are not good at scents, write down perfume that he has and look up online key ingredients, then find a perfume with similar stuff. My favourite: Canali’s Summer Night $60
3. Hand cream - A good hand cream goes a long way, men get dry skin too especially in winter time. My favourite: Hemp hand protector by Body shop $20
4. Wallet - I find that my boyfriend wears out his wallet every year, I am sure other men aren’t that different. So wallet should be a great gift. Make sure that the wallet colour will match the colour of his wardrobe and personality. My favourite: Roots wallet $100
5. Hat - Great gift for fall and winter to keep your loved ones ears warm. My favourite: Zara hat $15-25
6. Love note - Write a love or appreciation note and put it into his bag, laptop case or wallet.
7. Shaving kit - They all need one :) My favourite - Baxter’s shaving kit $25-40
8. Razor - Necessity. My favourite - Vintage looking razors compatible with Gillette razors by D.R. Harris $200
9. Massage - everyone loves it. Depending on your budget you can get a certificate to a spa or a massage bar. My favourite: Lush’s massage bars $10
10. Balloons - Decorating his room or study with balloons is a cute idea with a sure guarantee to bring a smile to his face. Grown ups don’t get balloons as often anymore so it is has a built in element of surprise.