For me February is all about love and Ventine’s. For some Valentine’s is lonesome holiday. Remember, you are never alone! Celebrate the month of February with colour and passion. And on the 14th go out with your single girlfriend or guy friends. Buy a new dress or that new red lipstick. Put on those fake lashes or 50’s bold wing tips. Go to a party, bar or restaurant. And say “Goodbye!” to that nagging feeling of loneliness. Remember, don’t rush into a relationship, keep an eye out for that perfect one and weed out all the “Mr. Right Now” guys.
The colour palette for February and Valentine’s does not have to be all red, look for beautiful cremes, blushes, black&gold combinations and even mint colours.
1. Wing tip. Retro is in this season, and what says retro better than a wing tip eye look. Merlin Monroe, Brigitte Bardot, Audrey Hepburn and many more gorgeous women rocked this look. You can do it too ;) Wear this makeup icon daily, experiment with liquid liner, pencil, smudge eyeshadows or eyeliner markers.
2. A red lip. Everyone knows that a red lip is a classic. Also many women are fearful of the red lips and I fully understand their fear. Until recently I believed that red lips are impossible to apply evenly. That is when I discovered the art of staining. Instead of smudging the lip colour on, stain your lips with red. Apply a lip balm before hand to provide a rich moisture foundation. This way the colour will last longer.
3. Blush colours. Blush is a beautiful colour, a light touch of pink that makes me think of tea roses and Paris. And when thinking about Paris and makeup Chanel comes to mind. Oh… Chanel. I love their oh-so-classy makeup and packaging. I just saw their spring 2012 LE items and was glad to see wonderful fresh light pinks. My favourite products so far are blush in glowing harmony, nail polish in May, or a hydrating lip colour in Chalys. Also, I found their MUA tutorials elegant, inspiring and a great idea for V-day looks.
4. Artsy Appliques. I have been using these for years now in my photo shoots (I was so glad to see that this technique is getting lots of attention this winter). A fancy name of appliqués is just any cut out shape or glitter which is applied to your face, lips, eyebrows or an eyeshadow substitute. I would suggest going to your local dollar store, buy glitter shaped as stars, hearts or flakes and apply those to your face using an eyelash glue. Any evening and party look can be spiced up using an appliques, the most important part is not to overdo it.
5. Retro hairstyles. Retro is the theme and hairstyles are not to be neglected. Especially if you are looking go get inspiration for unique hairstyles. Need help? Look at the cast of PanAm TV series, the actresses are diverse and have amazing hair in each episode. Take these look ideas and turn them into your reality.
I love New Year’s resolutions. How about this for a resolution? Looking your very own best in the 2012! I decided to start this year by re-evaluating my beauty routines and products that I use. Some things are better to leave in the 2011 and move on. So here are some of my new and improved manifestos for the new year:
1. Stay Natural. Watching youtube beauty vids is addictive: they both inspire me and make me want to put more makeup on my face. I decided to let go of that obsession and return back to looking natural. Goodbye to: tons of blush (one swipe is enough), bronzing and highlighting face daily, full on daily eyeshadow looks, lining my eyes with pencil, and sinister thoughts about foundation.
2. Be Yourself. I will stop wearing/buying clothes that suit me best according to colour charts, and will return to wearing my favourite colours. Whoever says that grey doesn’t match cool skinned girls with my eye colour can shush it. I love grey colour! So be yourself, wear the colours that you love, and makeup that you think suits you most. Your taste might change eventually anyways. And for now you can be yourself.
3. Go Hair Products! Now for the first time in 10 years I have shoulder length hair and it’s my natural hair colour. Man, do I feel weird having it. I discovered the fun of: flyaway hairs, grey hair (I have a few!), dry hair, oily hair, hair getting glued to your glossed lips, hair curling and misbehaving. I had none of this nonsense with my bobs and boy cuts. So what is the solution? Screw natural products! They just don’t help my hair stay in place. Trust me, I tried. This year I will stock up on John Frieda, Fructis and other wonderful brands, which will be a great aid in taming my hair.
4. Soap 4Life. I used makeup remover solution two times (it was a Christmas gift) and now I am fighting back the worse acne breakout of my life. FU gentle lotion makeup remover (they had the nerve to say that it is “gentle” on the cover)! I am now back to soap for the entire 2012 and the rest of my life.
5. Trust Your Mascara. Got a good mascara that you have been loving for the past year or two? Stick to it. In the 2011 I decide to experiment and bought a bunch of new mascaras and ended up hating 90% of what I bought. One of the mascaras was an absolute worse, I wore it for the second time after purchase and in a couple of hours after application it started feeling chalky and flaked. So in 2012 I’ll be sticking with what I know & trust.
Hope you enjoyed my NY’s resolutions. Let me know what are yours?
I Looooooove Lush! Their products are both natural and delicious smelling. First time that I discovered Lush was about 3-4 years ago when an x boyfriend of mine gave me a small gift - Lush’s Honey Bee Bathbomb. He just could not believe that I did not know what a bathbomb is. Was I in for a surprise. Ever since I am a Lush-o-Holic. It is a controlled condition but 99% of time when I visit their store I end up buying something. So far I have tried everything that they have to offer besides the following products: toothpaste tablets, natural masks, and perfume. Having tried one too many things from Lush I wanted to share with you my Christmas favourites and all-time-dislikes. Scroll down for tips on how to save money when shopping at Lush.
1. Soap “Candycane”, unisex, despite the name it smells to me like very distinct scent of cinnamon with a hint of peppermint. It is my favourite bath soap right now. Characteristic: Cinnamon + Mint.
2. Bath melt “Ceridwen’s Cauldron”, perfect for guys & girls with a neutral smell of sandalwood, lavender and oats. Fill up your bath, get in, and add the entire or portion of your melt. Characteristic: Earthy
3. Bath bomb “Satsumo Santa” , smells like mandarin oil, bergamot oil and orange flower. One time use. Fill up your bath, get in, and drop in Santa to the mix. Characteristic: Citruce-y.
4. Bubble bar “Magic Wand”, girls only. Smells like cotton candy. Unlike other bubble bars do not crumble this one, instead just swirl it in the bathtub a couple of times. Characteristic: Bubble gum.
5. Body lotion “Vanilla Dee-lite”, girls only. Smells like vanilla. I adore this item and wear it everyday. I got it in a gift box and would never get it on its own as it costs $27. So I would recommend for you to search for this item in a gift box as well. It is such a great lotion though and the smell is simply wonderful. Characteristic: Vanilla.
6. Massage bar “Havanilli”. Smells like sweetened vanilla. Melts in your hands and great for massages or as overnight moisturizer for rough and dry skin. Characteristic: Vanilla.
7. Shower gel “Glogg”. Inspired by a festive Swedish mulled wine it smells like spices, mostly cinnamon with a hint of wine. Characteristic: Cinnamon.
Solid shampoo bars. Great in theory. I adored my 1st shampoo bar which was “Seanik”. But when I started using them on a regular basic I got dandruff! Ew.
Solid deodorant. At first it smelled like heaven (very woody smell), and with a promise not to stain my underarms with white powder unlike their other solid deodorants I was really excited. The problem is that it was hard to apply and when it started wearing off it started scratching and irritating my skin as there were little bits of what seemed like twigs or seeds.
Tip #1 Instead of buying separate products, buy their gift boxes. This will save you $15-30 each time. Make sure to smell all the items before buying the box. This is the best practice to follow, especially if you (like myself) are nuts for their extremely expensive soaps.
Tip #2 Shop after Christmas. After Christmas Lush stores have this amazing deal - buy one holiday gift box get second one free. So you get 2 boxes for the value of 1.